Thursday, February 25, 2010

Name That Tune Meme

Monday, February 22, 2010


The Queen's Meme #26 ~ Name That Tune







Welcome to the Queen's Tuesday Meme #26

Sometimes silly. Sometimes serious. Always fun!

Step out of the box. Be creative. Use your imagination.

No one's answers are quite like yours.



I was tagged by the musically prolific Starr who writes Here Comes A Storm in The Form of A Girl for a meme that was circulating on Facebook over the weekend. It calls for 25 answers (!) but not to worry, I have shortened it for our purposes here.





It's a simple NAME THAT TUNE meme with a Mimi twist.





The Rules : Once you have been tagged (or commanded by the Queen) you are supposed to write down the top 25 SEVEN songs you cannot live without. The ones you can listen to over and over and never get tired of. They don't have to be in any particular order. These are the songs that make you laugh, cry, think of an old friend, whatever the reason. I know it's impossible for many of us to narrow it down to seven. There are just too many songs. Instead, make a list of seven songs that move you personally and tell us why. What memory does the song evoke? What emotion? Where were you when you first heard it? We'd like to know what's in your musical memory bank. Name seven songs and tell us about your emotional connection to the song.

Fair enough?



Let's get started!

1.  The theme from the "Valley of the Dolls," by Dionne Warwick -- The song eloquently captures what's inside my soul/spirit.   I saw the movie when I was 13 or 14 years old.  The scenes in the movie that really compel me is when she (Barbara somebody) is riding on the train; it's snowing,  and she is pondering her life.  I guess that's why I like wintertime so much.
 
2.  "Hello" by Lionel Richie -- This song reminds me of one of my favorite childhood friends, Janice.  When we would visit each other homes -- anytime we were together, really -- we would sing.  I am soprano, she's alto.  We would always harmonize!!  She would encourage me to hit high notes.  I would hit them too, after her encouragement.  Wow, I miss her.  She moved Upstate NY.  Haven't seen her in years.  We both enjoyed music so much, especially Lionel Richie.
 
3.  "I Hope That We Can Be Together Soon" by Harold Melvin and the Blue Notes -- Wow, Teddy Pendergrass' voice smooth, very smooth.  My sister, who, at the time, became a born again Christian, thought this song was a Christian song.  I always wondered why.  So, I asked her and she said that it represented the second coming of the Christ. 
 
4.  "Too Much, Too Little, Too Late" by Johnny Mathis and Denise Williams -- I just adore this song/duet.  My sister, Sondra, had this HUGE crush on Mr. Mathis.  Oh, how she would carry on about him.  She had all his albums.  I think he's sexy and cute.  With a voice as sweet as a violin.
 
5.  "Go Your Own Way" by Fleetwood Mac -- Reminds me of my sister Carolyn and her friend Nora.  Actually, it was Nora who introduced me to Mac with the release of their 1977 "Rumours" album.  I remember Nora came to pick up my sister one afternoon just to hang out.  I was invited to go along.  Nora was driving one of those bus looking Volkswagons, and playing on the radio was Go Your Own Way.  Loved Fleetwood ever since.
 
6.  "Didn't I Blow Your Mind" by The Delfonics -- Do I need to say more?  I didn't think so.
 
7.  "I Gotta Be Me" by Sammy Davis Jr. -- This song is my motto.  It gives me courage, strength, and hope.  I miss Sammy; his music, his smooth voice, his laughter.

4 comments:

  1. Great list! Except every time I see "I gotta be me", I think of that Farside cartoon w/ the penguin singing it. It cracks me up! lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanx. This was a hard meme because there are just wwwaaaayyyyy toooooooooo many songs to choose from. Cheers jojo!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job on a hard meme!
    And some wonderful memories to go along with it. Thanks for playing.
    I loved Dionne Warwick as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanx. Yes, wonderful, wonderful memories. Great anticipation for the next one. Cheers Mimi!!

    ReplyDelete

about me

My photo
a fun-loving individual who loves good food, good drink, good conversation and good people

Blog Archive