Monday, August 22, 2011

OKAY, ARE YOU AS THOROUGHLY CONFUSED AS I AM?

There are times when I take myself way too seriously.  And there are times when the fun-loving spirit side of me wants to have a bit-o-fun -- now is that time.

I was reading an article in a magazine the other day when I happened upon the word complement, which means to match, go with, suited for.  I quickly remembered that two days before I used the other word - compliment, which means to praise or honor someone or something - to a woman wearing a very pretty dress.  This got me to wondering about those words in the English language that are often confusing, not just for foreigners, but natives alike.  These words sound the same, but are spelled differently:  lead/lead, capital/capitol, already/all ready, stationary/stationery, by/bye/buy, a lot/allot cite/site/sight, accept/except, counsil/counsel, desert/dessert, correspondance/correspondence, correspondant/coorespondent, affect/effect, principal/principle.  Now, I know school is out for summer but, can you put your thinking cap on and come up with a few?  Cheers!!

2 comments:

  1. I know ... the English language is so weird with so many different words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There/their/they're fall into that category. And to/too/two. There are school books to help kids out. I know a lot of adults who could use them

    Then of course, as you commented on in my blog, quite/quiet (almost) and piece/peace!

    ReplyDelete

about me

My photo
a fun-loving individual who loves good food, good drink, good conversation and good people

Blog Archive